Friday, October 14, 2005

Dadmanly offline for a bit, thus a break from debate

I'm sure most of you read Dadmanly's blog, but if anyone doesn't I'll mention here he's not expecting internet access of any quality for the last few weeks of his deployment. He's taking a break from blogging for that time out of necessity. I'm sure you all join with me in wishing or praying for his safe return and of his troops as their tour ends, and look forward to hearing from him when he's back.

For now I'll keep arguing as needed with folks who wish in the comments section here, and perhaps if enough people want to continue to debate by comment we could try another topic, but mostly I'll be looking forward to his return to the US and him coming back to try to kick my butt some more (I had to put in the "try", I'm sorry, I'm terrible :P).

BW

Dadmanly Responds:

I want to thank BW for his patience with me during this time. That must seem like a dirty trick, get him all worked up with some animated discussion, then I fall off the face of the earth!

(Not exactly my best timing, starting in with a new debate partner when I have to take a sabbatical.)

My time is crunched pretty good, I am still blogging but restricted to wrtie ahead and upload, not ideally suited to a back and forth format. Also, I have some "want to get done" stuff before I am out of the sandbox.

If there are any of our regular readers interested in a debate with BW, please let one of us know. I can invite you in if you send along your email. (If BW is interested.)

Again, thanks BW for tipping off the readers, and for the lively exchanges. I've enjoyed them (when I wasn't expressing extreme dissatisfaction with your views in somewhat off color ways, God forgive me ;) I look forward to having more time for more rhetorical scrimmages.

3 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger BW said...

"I've enjoyed them (when I wasn't expressing extreme dissatisfaction with your views in somewhat off color ways"

Best quote ever!

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a high school debater and I noticed that you had Iraq Detainees in some of your talks with Dadmanly. I was wondering, just where do you stand on the subject and do you think there would be any significant advantages to giving the Iraq detainees back to the Iraqi government?
Signed:9thGradeOverAchiever

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger BW said...

By the way, I've been quite sick past three weeks and just getting back into the swing of things, so I haven't been poking DM too hard.

Regarding Iraqui detainees, the question for me really is "which detainees".

I think that Iraqui citizens, arrested in Iraq, should probably be turned over the to Iraqui government in most cases, yes, however I can't ignore the fact that a lot of violence is being perpetrated by foreign nationals and to me their treatment should be the same as if they were arrested by US forces any place else.

That of course brings up the larger issue of what, if any, great value such long term detentions have served regardless of whether we're talking terrorists, Taliban or suspected/genuine Al Q operatives but to be honest I don't have a strong opinion there as the issue is so totally muddled in a fundamental value conflicts and information control by the administration and military that nobody really has any idea whether the detentions have TRULY yielded enough intelligence to justify the continued practice.

Honestly I think that most Taliban problem should have been either charged or released in the months following the war in Afghanistan, but then I also felt a MUCH stronger military presence should have been kept up and the process of nation building taken more seriously not only in the largest cities but in the country as a whole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home